Friday, April 26, 2013

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This chicken is seriously the BEST sweet and sour chicken I have ever made. Not only is it the best I have made, it compares to the best take out Chinese food. I had serious reservations on trying this but the blogger where I got the recipe from said it was her favorite, so I thought why not?! My husband and I have enjoyed it so much I have made it twice this week and I went to the store to get more to make this weekend...{Don't judge me!}

The complexity of this recipe was not too bad. You do have to stir the chicken every 15 minutes and it does cook  for one hour so allow a night where you have a bit of time to babysit the chicken. It was cheaper than going out for Chinese which is also a plus. Now all I need is for someone to send me a stellar recipe for fried rice so I can have the whole package. My attempts were feeble at best but the chicken made up for it. ;)


Sweet and Sour Chicken

2-3 boneless chicken breasts
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 c. cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 c. canola oil 

For the Sauce:

3/4 c. sugar
4 Tbs ketchup
1/2 c vinegar
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, I didn't want it to be overly sweet)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut chicken into cubes and salt and pepper to taste. Heat oil in pan on medium heat. Coat chicken first in cornstarch and then dip into beaten eggs. Fry until brown but do not cook all the way through, this will finish in the oven. 

Place chicken in 9x13 baking dish. Mix all the sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken. Bake for 1 hour and turn the chicken every 15 minutes.


Enjoy!!!
{Make sure to soak the 9x13 dish right away after cooking so the sauce doesn't cake onto the sides!}

Source: Mandy's Recipe Box

No comments:

Post a Comment