Friday, April 12, 2013

Grandma's Hotdish

I love one pot wonders for supper! They are my absolute fave. You may call it a casserole or a hotdish depending on how you grew up, I just call them amazing! My grandma's hotdish has been my favorite ever since I was little. It was the first meal I ever remember getting excited about. I was such a picky eater growing up {sorry mom} and I got so excited about this meal.

This hotdish has evolved over the years as my taste buds have matured. Ah hem :) I've added spice but it is so easy to take away the spice for a more simple but yummy hotdish! Its a great base to start with and play with and adapt to what your family enjoys. For instance you could use tomato soup or cheddar soup instead of  fiesta nacho cheese soup.

I hope you  enjoy this hotdish as much as I do. And just a FYI it is great as leftovers, its like the flavors have time to hang out together and become so much more!


Grandma's Hotdish

1 lb hamburger
1/2 medium onion
3 cups uncooked Wacky Mac Past
1 can Campbells Fiesta Nacho Cheese Soup
1 8 oz can Rotel Tomato Sauce {Note this is SAUCE}
1 8oz can Tomato Sauce 
1- 1.5 c frozen corn
1 Tbs Brown Sugar {my grandma's secret weapon!}
1 c Cheddar or Pepper jack cheese

Brown hamburger and onion. At the same time cook the pasta according to the package. 

Once the hamburger is browned add soup, tomato sauces, corn, and brown sugar. Mix through and them add over drained pasta in 5 qt pan or dutch oven and mix.  Then sprinkle cheese on top and place in preheated oven to 350 degrees.

Bake for 45 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted.

Source: Adapted from my Grandma Mary's recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment