Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sweet Potato Enchilada Pie

So apparently today is National Pie Day! I know right?! How did you not have this marked on your calendar? Who makes up these holidays and how can I get on that committee? Just in case you aren’t one to celebrate National Pie Day than you will be happy to know that today is also National Handwriting Day. Uffda, thank goodness there is an alternative for today’s celebration! But in my house we will celebrate National Pie Day by enjoying this delicious Sweet Potato Enchilada Pie! Sounds kinda crazy, I know. But it is so delicious. It is such a unique combination of flavors. This recipe is actually the one that made me realize I might actually like sweet potatoes. I hope you are willing to catch the Pie Day spirit and give this recipe a shot.
sweet potato
Sweet Potato Enchilada Pie
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 Tbs water
1 lb ground beef
1/2 medium onion chopped
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed
1 can (10oz) enchilada sauce
3 flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

In a large microwave safe bowl combine cubed sweet potatoes and water. Cover and microwave for 5 minutes or until soft. {This is where the sweet potato will soften the most so make sure there isn’t any crunch left!}
Meanwhile cook beef and onion on medium heat. Once cooked stir in beans, enchilada sauce, and sweet potato and heat through.
Place flour tortilla in greased 9 inch pie plate and layer beef mixture on top add some cheese. Repeat this layer twice and finish with cheese on top.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Serve with Sour Cream {I think this totally makes the dish complete!}
Source: Simple and Delicious Magazine

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, I love enchiladas, I love pie, so I should love this- right?! Must add it to my recipe index... pinning :)
    "Stalking" your blog from Peacoats and Plaid :)

    ReplyDelete