Thursday, January 17, 2013

Split Pea and Ham Soup

I’m totally having a first world problem right now. First world problem you ask? My husband had to enlighten me on what this first world problem is all about…First World Problem
I’m going to confess to you my first world problem. I don’t get the Food Network Channel anymore! We cancelled our dish and now I’m left with bunny ears. I miss Paula Deen. I miss Chopped. I miss Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives. If I was having a bad day I would just sit down and watch one of my favorite food shows! Now I am left with PBS. But don’t worry I found me a new food show that will fill my void. For now. It is America’s Test Kitchen. This is where I found this delicious recipe for Homemade Split Pea and Ham Soup.
My dad can sometimes be a hard cookie to please but he thought that this soup was “marvelous!” I will take that compliment. This soup is so full of pork flavor with out having to use a ham bone. Strips of bacon simmering with the soup is the secret weapon in this recipe. Its a must try.
split pea and ham
Split Pea and Ham Soup
2 Tbs butter
1/2 medium onion finely chopped
7 cups of water
1 lb ham steak {skin removed and cut into quarters}
3 slices thick bacon
1 lb green split peas {make sure to rinse them before using them}
2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
2 medium carrots, cut into small pieces
1 rib celery, cut into small pieces

Heat butter in your large sweet dutch oven {i still love mine!} over medium high heat. Add onion when butter starts to foam. Stir frequently until the onions are softened. Add water, ham steak, bacon, peas, thyme, and bay leaves. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Stir frequently so peas won’t stick to the bottom. Once simmering reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes or until the peas are tender.
Remove ham steak and cover with foil or plastic wrap. {This prevents the ham from drying out} Set this aside. Stir in chopped carrots and celery. Continue to simmer covered until the vegies are tender about another 30 minutes.
Shred the ham steak into bite sized pieces with two forks. Now it is time to remove the thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and bacon slices. Once those are removed stir in the shredded ham steak.
Serve with salt and pepper so it can be added to your taste preference.
Enjoy this beautiful comforting soup!

Adapted From: America's Test Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. This was absolutely delicious! Kudos to the cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this soup. I have not had it in ages. Time to cook up a batch. Your recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete