Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hearty Tomato Soup

It is way too bitterly cold to even go outside today. With wind chill it is about –25 today and it is just going to get colder. Tomorrow they are saying –45 degrees. The kind of weather where the weatherman said if you put a thawed freezy pop outside it will turn solid in 10 minutes. The kind where you will get frostbite in 5 to 10 minutes. O what joy. So what do I do to have fun indoors? I potty train my 2 year old. ;)brrrr1
With such cold weather I want some comfort food! Tomato soup and grilled cheese is just it! Just looking outside I want to curl up with a big bowl of hearty tomato soup and allow it to warm me up to the core. This homemade version is so yummy and isn’t packed full of preservatives. My daughter just loved this soup and ate it by the ladle full's. Chunks of tomatoes and all! {When I was younger I had to have my dad strain my grandmas homemade tomato soup!} I know right?! Pair it with a cheesy buttery grilled cheese and you are set. tomatosoup
Hearty Tomato Soup
1/4 medium onion (chopped)
1 stalk on celery with leaves (chopped)
4 Tbs butter
48 oz 100% tomato juice
2 (15oz) cans diced petite tomatoes
3 Tbs sugar
1/2 container home-style chicken stock or 1 chicken bullion cube
1 cup whole milk {you can use what you have on hand}
pepper to taste

Melt butter in dutch oven and sauté onion and celery until tender. Add diced tomatoes, juice, and sugar. Bring to a boil and turn down heat. Simmer for 45 minutes. Add chicken flavoring. Add milk and stir. DO NOT BOIL. Once warmed through serve and enjoy!
Adapted: The Pioneer Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment